Thursday, March 3, 2011

First Day as an Austrian Uni Student

So I realize I haven't posted in a while, I'm sorry to all my followers who've been waiting anxiously for another post (see right -->)  ;)

But as of today I am going to set aside some time every other day to post some news, thoughts, pics, and other happenings from my life here in Salzburg.  Even after two days here there is so much to tell its gonna be hard to get it all in in any sort of chronological order, but I'll try!

Today was my first day of classes and it was busy!  I left here at 9:00, even though my placement test wasn't until 10:00.  I knew it would take me a while to figure out the bus connections and such.  And after three different connections, one which I quickly realized was driving back in the exact direction I had just come from, I finally made it to the test center.  Then another bus ride to another part of the University for "Alpine History" at 11:00, an hour break, then "Concepts of Democracy" at 2:00.  I didn't get back here until 8:00.  When I did finally get back, all I wanted to do was put on my fleecy pants, throw my high heeled boots out the window and snuggle into bed.

Before I got here, I had so many worries about how I was going to meet people, fit in, get around, figure out my schedule and what not.  At times, when I let anxiety get the better of me, I started to think that this was all too much and that I was making a huge mistake by going all by myself.  There's a reason people pay thousands of dollars to go on programs like ISEP, I kept telling myself.  You're gonna be screwed... But now being here and getting a feel for the flow of life here, I have settled into a blissful state of a contented existence.  I feel like this is where I'm supposed to be and I'm so excited to wake up every day and find out what is in store for me next!

As much as I worried about it before I got here, it turns out that not being attached to any particular exchange program has proved to be much more of a blessing than I expected.  While at first I thought it would be really nice to have other people to live with and explore the city with, I quickly realized that just by being outgoing and friendly I can meet people just as well on my own as if I were in a big group.  I would even argue more easily.  I don't have to be supervised or accountable to anyone but myself, I got to choose my own place, and I get to do whatever I want.  But best of all, I'm totally independent and free to live by my own schedule which is sooo freeing!!  It's the best feeling to walk out the door with no plan at all and just follow where your feet take you.  Like today, at 4:00 after my last class was over I had nowhere else that I had to be so I went and had coffee with some Austrians, why not?  They're all political science students, one of them is in my Concepts of Democracy class and invited me to join them, an offer I accepted right away.  And because of that I met "Long-haired earthy Austrian" who looks and talks like he's about 30 but says he has an old bike I can use while I'm here!  Yayyyyy!!  Even after one day of jumping from bus to bus to get around the city, I realize that I will go stark raving mad after a week if I don't get a bike.  Plus, its green :)

All for now, time for bed...

1 comment:

  1. Your friend mark read this with so much joy. My favorite part was reading your words

    I have settled into a blissful state of a contented existence.  I feel like this is where I'm supposed to be and I'm so excited to wake up every day and find out what is in store for me next!

    Keep the news coming dear Caroline.

    ReplyDelete